Professional Practice Model
Professional Practice Models (PPMs) serve as graphical depictions demonstrating how professional nurses practice, function, interact and develop professionally to provide high quality care.
Sentara’s PPM is used to describe a common foundation of nursing practice, provide clear vision for nursing care, and helps visually set nursing culture. The image of a Parthenon schematic, illustrates commitment to create an environment of health and healing underpinned by a culture of safety and accountability within relationship-based care, and nursing foundation unique to each division’s culture. Pillars represent nursing scope of practice. The roof reflects the nursing vision, to create an environment of health and healing.
The theoretical framework for Sentara Nursing is Relationship Based Care (RBC). RBC is unique in it includes focus on caregivers’ relationship with self and other team members in addition to the caring relationship with patients and families.
Specific divisions may have an additional theoretical model guiding nursing care in that setting. The Care Delivery Model (CDM) across Sentara Nursing predominantly used is modified primary nursing.
Shared decision-making is part of the PPM providing a framework for decision making. Within Sentara Healthcare, shared decision making is defined as a working model of participatory decision making in which nurses make decisions about clinical practice standards, quality improvement, staff and professional development, and nursing research. System Nursing Forums and Councils guide specialty nursing practice and programs. Throughout Sentara, every nurse is a leader and structures and processes defined in the PPM support this vision.
Sentara Nursing Procedural References
Updated September 2020
2020 Sentara Healthcare System Nursing Practice Forum and Council Chair Toolkit
The Council and Forum toolkit is a resource to be used for successfully leading system Nursing Councils or Practice Forums.
The toolkit includes:
• Professional Practice Model overview
• Shared Decision Making Guidelines
• Role & Responsibilities of Executive Sponsor
• Role & Responsibilities of Chair
• Role & Responsibilities of Chair Elect
• Role & Responsibilities of direct care staff nurse member
• Role & Responsibilities of formal leader/educator member
• Forum and Council purpose statements
• Charter template
• Membership grid template and tracking template
• Tips for Creating Agendas
• Agenda template
• Minutes template
• Annual report template
• Modified Roberts Rules of Order/voting guidelines
• C 360 Policies, Procedures, and Job Aids
• 2017+ System Nursing Strategic Plan
Continuing Education Resources:
• Educational Resources
• Evidence-Based Practice tip sheet
• Standardized procedural references for nursing